|February 10, 2018|
Do you want to explore the moorland bridleways but are not sure where to go or how to plan a route, or simply fed up with following arrows at a trail centre?
This one day Navigation course aims to introduce the basic elements needed to successfully plan and implement an off-road journey, specifically aimed at cyclists.
- Interpretation of OS 1:25,000 maps & symbols
- Use of cycle computer as a navigational aid
- Planning a preparing a route card
- Use of compass, including setting the map and taking a bearing
- Use of grid references
- Re-location exercise
- Implementation of route card on a 10km journey (on bikes!)
By the end of this course you should:
- Be more confident in your ability to read and interpret a map
- Recognise key map features which will help you plan a route
- Be able to roughly calculate distance, height gain/descent, journey time
- Be able to use features on the ground to re-locate yourself
- Understand and be able to take a grid reference
- Know where you are, when looking at a map!
- Enjoy some of Exmoor’s finest mountain bike trails
Perfect for those entering mountain bike orienteering events, as well as those who simply want to learn more about navigation.
Course cost: £65pp
Bike hire available: £15pp
Timings: 09:30 – 16:00
Course location: Porlock, West Somerset